The Tom and Helen Flynn Complex for Recreation, Wellness and Health Sciences opened its doors in September 2019. Known as "The Plex," the 100,000 square foot facility has become the new hub for Alvernia Athletics.
Within the Plex lies a 70,000 foot field house, boasting a 6-lane NCAA level indoor track, four full sized basketball courts, new strength training facilities, and fully-equipped locker rooms, including private team rooms for Golden Wolves athletics.
*Click the image of the Plex for a tour!*
PHYSICAL EDUCATION CENTER (PEC)
The Physical Education Center has been host to some memorable events as the center of the Alvernia University Athletic Department. The PEC hosts Women's Volleyball in the fall, both Men's and Women's Basketball in the Winter, and Men's Volleyball in the winter/spring.
The Physical Education Center opened its doors in 1987. Since then, the Alvernia faithful have consistently packed its bleachers for home games, providing a mix of excitement and enthusiasm that is on par with any other D-III arena. The PEC has undergone several upgrades over the past three years, including new locker rooms, a state of the art athletic training room, and a new lifting facility.
*Click the image for a tour of the PEC*
JACK MCCLOSKEY COURT
Alvernia University held a ceremony between games of a doubleheader vs Albright on January 30, 2013, to officially name the floor of the gymnasium in the Physical Education Center, Jack McCloskey Court.
Alvernia Athletic Director, Bill Stiles, opened the ceremony with a short recap of Coach McCloskey's career. Dr. Tom Flynn, former University President, offered remarks and former men's basketball player Art Schomp spoke on behalf of the players. John McCloskey, Jr., finished with a reaction from the family.
Jack McCloskey Court received a facelife in the summer of 2017 as Alvernia University switched its mascot to the Golden Wolves.
The roots of Alvernia University were planted in 1926 when the Bernardine Sisters of the Third Order of Saint Francis established an orphanage in the building now known as Francis Hall; eventually the orphanage became an elementary school. Beginning as a college for the Bernardine Franciscan Sisters in 1958, the institution became a four-year liberal arts school. Alvernia received its charter from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1960.
On September 25, 2008, officials announced that it had attained university status and is currently known as Alvernia University. Alvernia's has a current enrollment of nearly 3,000 students and grants degrees in Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Social Work, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and a doctorate in Physical Therapy.
*Click on the image for an overhead tour of campus*